Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Course Open... Not Yet.

Well we are getting close. Courses are starting to open and the weather has given a nice few days with a outlook like more of the same. If you you don't follow me on Twitter @golfsoup then you missed my walk-about yesterday to survey the course and conditions. I took pictures and commented on some areas as I went, all in all it is looking pretty good. There are plenty of drifted areas with snow still melting, the frost is down maybe a inch or so, and things are still a bit wet in spots since the melt water is not soaking in.


I am guessing by the weekend most of the snow will be gone and we should gain some ground on the frost coming out. Yesterday the covers on #7 & #16 greens were still frozen down and I was unable to pull them up and look underneath. Today the covers were not not and I was able to see that the turf looks great underneath the, though it is still frozen. Covers will most likely be removed before the weekend. So things are steadily progressing to opening for the 2015 season. If you were to ask me today when we will open, I'd say ask me again in a couple of days. It is amazing how quickly things change, just from yesterday to today, but we still have a couple feet of snow in some drifts/bunkers on the course and that will take the next couple of days to disappear. It looks like things are going to stay dry and warmer then average so it won't be long for everything to come together and we can get the course open for the 2015 golf season.

I can tell you it looks like the range will be open by the weekend... The frost in the tee has been declining quickly and it is pretty dry. It needs some cleaning, ropes and stakes need to come down (though many stakes are still frozen in), and then just supplies set up.

Please be patient while the last of the snow melts, the frost comes out, and we get the golf course cleaned up and ready for play. It won't be long now and the golf season will be underway. The maintenance staff and I are really excited, and want to make 2105 a great year at IVGC.

No comments: